Discovering my 'new normal' after breast cancer diagnosis at 34.

04 July 2011

Reasons to Run 3: Osteoporosis


Regular physical exercise, such as running can increase and maintain bone strength by increasing bone mass and therefore decreases the risk of developing osteoporosis.

One side effect of my current condition as an oestrogen-free zone (thanks to Armidex and Zolodex) is the increased chance of losing bone mineral density and therefore developing osteoporosis.

As well as taking calcium supplements, I figure that my running also helps cancel out this potential side-effect. Plus, it's good for me in other ways too!

More information about preventing osteoporosis is on the Osteoporosis Australia website.

An excellent resource about Arimidex (and other cancer things) can be found on Macmillan's cancer support site.

Arimidex Consumer Medicine Information (PDF)

There is an interesting article about aromatase inhibitors (such as arimidex) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment